Wednesday 4 August 2010

[INTERVIEW] Boy band INFINITE - Part 1

My name is Kim Sung-kyu. I am the leader of INFINITE.
I was born on April 28, 1989. I'm the only one in the group who was born in the 80s and I feel the age difference from the younger members of my group. It was surprising to hear that Sung-jong didn't know who Korean boy band H.O.T was. Everyone in my age group knows who they are!
I am the oldest in the group but I am the youngest at home. I have an older sister who is five years older than me. My sisters' friends compliments us whenever we are on TV, saying that we all look cute.
I was in the school band at Jeonju National University High School. The name of our band was 'Beat' and we mostly played hardcore music like Pia, Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. I enjoyed Elle Garden and Muse but I mostly sang or rapped.
I came to Seoul and stayed in the Hongik University area with the determination to 'do rock music.' But my friend who came with me went back home and I was the only one left here. I've become more interested in black music, pop and dance and now I'm having fun with learning how to dance.
My biggest reason for signing with this company is because of senior singers Nell. They were my idols from when I first started to do music. I have all their studio albums as well their underground records.
I was really embarrassed when we first began shooting for Mnet's "INFINITE! You are the One." I thought we were going to be doing a cool program but the whole show is real, starting from the scene where I call out to our manager when Ji-ae comes into our dorm while we are eating. I think we showed the viewers everything from our bare faces to taking off our clothes in the bathroom (Sung-yeol: They showed our chests!) and crying.
That's why we weren't under the pressure to get into shape because our bodies were revealed even before we made our debut. We acknowledged the fact that we all have a normal builds. We sometimes may just think about working out. (laugh)
I still keep in touch with Ji-ae. She came to cheer us on during our first stage performance and showcase. She called to give us advice to "work hard because it's going to be tough" after seeing our first broadcast. It's as if she's our older sister. (laugh)
There were many things to ride when we were shooting the music video for "Come Back Again." I chose to ride in the limousine. Everyone thought I rode in it because I was the oldest but the director said it matched my image...(Sung-yeol: But it didn't match him that much. Hahaha.) Uhm, the director probably chose it, thinking it will suit me in the future.
Whenever I sing, the end of my eyebrows droop downwards and I put on an expression that seems as if I'm saying I've been wrongly accused. Even my mom told me after watching me on TV that I should fix it. Honestly, I've tried practicing singing thinking about my eyebrows but it's not easy to fix it because I was born with it. (Dong-woo:But he does sing with a more mellow tone when he puts on the expression as if he's been wrongly accused.) I have more people who like my eyebrows now and I think maybe Woo-hyun will try to imitate my expression for one of his skills. He's probably practicing somewhere where I can't see him.


My name is Jang Dong-woo.
I was born on November 22, 1990. I have two older sisters with one being six years older than me and the other three years older. People tell me that I probably grew up receiving their love but I was beaten up a lot! (Sung-kyu: That's what he says now and it seems like his sisters love him and take good care of him whenever I hear him talking to them on the phone.)
My parents said they will allow me to sing and dance after I graduate from high school. But I learned to sing and dance properly from when I was a freshman in high school because I wanted to go on stage so badly. My sister used to be a dancer and I learned from her. I mostly dance in the R&B style and during my audition...I think I barely passed. (laugh)
Woo-hyun and Sung-jong seemed much more manly back when I first met them, with their long hair and all. (Woo-hyun: We kept him in check because we joined the agency first. Haha.) But we became close after thirty minutes of spending time together to eat. The power of sharing a meal is great.
I got the nickname "Kenya Dong-woo" from Mnet's "INFINITE! You are the One." At school, my nickname was 'Woo-dong.'A lot of people ask me if I am from Kenya. Ha...it's all a misunderstanding. I am a native Korean, I'm from the Gyeonggi Province of South Korea.
My pants ripped while I was dancing on MBC's "Infinite Girls." I didn't know it at first but I felt a coolness somewhere and then noticed that something white was showing! I held onto my pants and finished my dance saying it was a new dance that I came up with. They edited that part out and only showed me dancing.
It took two hours to shoot the rain scene for the music video "Come Back Again." We were singing live and the water kept going into my mouth and I had such a hard time because I couldn't open my eyes.
At the dorms, Woo-hyun, L and Sung-yeol share a room and Sung-kyu, Sung-jong and Hoya share a room. I am roommates with our manager. It's because I love our manager. (laugh)
I decided to keep a daily journal a week before we made our debut. A journal is something you don't show others but I showed Sung-kyu my journal because he persuaded me by saying, "I have to know what you guys are thinking about because I am the oldest and the leader. It will help me to be a better team leader." (Sung-kyu: I expected him to have written something philosophical because he practices writing the raps and lyrics. All he wrote was what time he ate lunch and what today's schedule was like.)
I didn't show anyone my journal after that, and I carry it around in my bag just in case the other members might see. If I knew something like this would happen, I would have bought one with a lock! (L: How about a bag like James Bond's?)

Source : asiae

No comments:

Post a Comment